Monday, 8 December 2014

Hand Felted Boots

I've been toying with a few felting ideas for quite some time now, but I've been putting them on hold since my little one took most of my time and energy. When I stumbled upon a photo of sewn baby boots I decided I have to give it a try.

First I had to figure out a god cut and size, then I had to figure out the best way to make sheets od felt out of our chow's undercoat, and finally sew it all together. I wasn't completely convinced that the project will be a success since every of the steps above was my first try and mostly guesswork, similar projects I found online and some logic. That's probably why I'm really proud of how it all turned out even though there is much room for improvement.

Wet felting turned out a success. Chow undercoat has much shorter strands than wool so the felt turned out a bit fragile, but I'll try stressing it a bit more in order to (hopefully) get a firmer shit of felt.

I'm planning to make a few smaller items next. Maybe some Christmass tree ornaments.
I think I have some icy-white husky undercoat leftovers somewhere... :)